Sunday, October 07, 2007

Just watched Planet Terror, a Robert Rodriguez movie. It's a homage to old B-Grade horror movies. Man, it was cheesy. Lots of blood, violence and hot chicks. That Rose McGowan is hot. She sings the songs in the movie soundtrack too. She could have been one of those Film Noir chicks from the 1940's. Could have walked into Humphrey Bogart's office in Maltese Falcon instead of Mary Astor.

Before that, I when to Sunway Pyramid's new wing with Chui Yan to have a look. Still smells of fresh cement and paint. Walked around a bit, it's been a few months since I visited the place. Everything looks different. I still prefer One Utama. Pyramid is a little dark and their corridors aren't as spacious and high as One Utama. Feels a bit dingy, kind of like how Sungai Wang Plaza feels like.

I was telling Chui Yan about how my film professor asked us what was our favourite movies of all time. Brad Chisholm did a survey every year with his final year film students and would write down the answer. I choose Dumb and Dumber. I know, stupid choice but that movie was so funny back then. Brad was kind of surprised and said he always thought Chungking Express was my favourite movie. I said yeah, but going by the movie which I watched the most, it would have to be Dumb and Dumber and Terminator 2.

Looking back now, my list of all time favourite movie has changed. Actually this is more like the list of movies that has the most influence on me. I think the list should be more like these (in no particular order):

1. Chungking Express
I love Wong Kar Wai's cinematography in this movie. The second story with Tony Leung and Faye Wong is my favourite. I found it really sweet and cute how Faye Wong would slowly change his apartment without Tony Leung noticing it.The California Dreaming soundtrack was cool too. Till today, when ever I shoot, I always try to emulate a bit of Wong Kar Wai's odd camera angles. He has low angles and places the camera in odd places.

2. Forrest Gump
I love the soundtrack in this movie. Till today, the music has influenced the choice of music and era that I like to listen too. My favourite character is Gary Senise as Lt. Dan. Really heartwarming. For some time, I actually thought Forrest Gump was a real person and the movie was based on his life. Funny.

3. Dumb and Dumber
Okay, this movie was really cool when I was in Form 4 & 5 just because it had the dumbest jokes. I must have watched it more than 5 times. It was so funny then. I don't know if I'll still laugh now. I think Jim Carrey probably wouldn't do those type of roles anymore too.

4. Pulp Fiction
Now this movie still rocks in my book. It still has really cool dialog in the movie. My favourite part is when Butch (played by Bruce Willis) escapes and decides turn back and rescue Marsellus Wallace (played by Ving Rhames). He looks around for a weapon and finally settles on a Samurai Sword. Man, that was so cool when he finally got his revenge. The Dialog between Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta is memorable too. Everytime someone tells me they don't eat pork, I think of the dialog between the two of them.

5. From Dusk To Dawn
A gore fest. I like the cool Quentin Tarrantino dialog in this one too. George Clooney has really cool lines in the movie. My favourite is when he says "Everyone, be cool. You, be cool". Sometimes I feel like saying that to Chui Yan when she freaks out but she wouldn't get the joke.

6. Terminator 2
I love the T1000. Awsome evil character. In school we used to play Role Playing Games and we'll all play Terminator games. We all wanted to be the T1000. We made up storey lines and we'll all play it out.

7. Something About Mary
Strange as it is, I found the movie quite romantic. It was funny and cute.

8. Indiana Jones trilogy
After watching the series, I really loved reading up on history. Till today, any movie that I watched that had history as a basis for its plot, I will read up about it on the internet.

9. Star Wars 4, 5, and 6.
Don't really have to explain this one. This was about the same time I was really into origami also. I had made my own origami creations of the Star Wars fleet like the X-Wing fighter and battle cruiser.

10. Gladiator
I loved the first 10 minutes of the movie. The opening battle scene was awsome. I love movies with medieval battle scenes. Probably have to start a different list of movies with awsome medieval battle scenes.

11. Princess Mononoke
Japanese animation. Really haunting soundtrack. First time I was really into watching an Anime. The story flow was so gentle. Characters were very well flashed out. They depended on their little body language movements to tell emotions. Was really nice.

12. Jackie Chan's Police Story series
The stunts in his movies are great. The best part... watching the end credits to see how he did it. Really cool. My hats of to him.

13. Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, Sanjuro and 7 Samurai's
I'm lumping this 3 movies together because they're great samurai movies. They have really got plot lines. I like how each of the movie opens also. Of these 3, my favourite would be Sanjuro.

14. When Harry Met Sally
I was actually forced to watch this movie repeated times because I took a communications class in KDU and we had to analyse the movie. So me and Sim watched it a few times and we had to write a paper about it. Okay, quite a romantic movie. Great soundtrack by Harry Connick Jr.

15. Once Upon A Time In China 1, 2 and 3
This was my first introduction to Jet Li. The soundtrack was inspirational, though till today I have no idea what the lyric is about.

1 comment:

Sim Tong said...

I think our lists are pretty similar but I would have to have The Gods Must Be Crazy 1 and 2 and maybe also Meet The Parents.