Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cuti Raya



I just woke up from a nap. I haven't taken a nap on a Sunday afternoon in months ever since I've been working 7 days a week for 2 months now.



It's the long Raya weekend holidays. I didn't visit anyone this Raya. I know, it's so unMalaysian but I just feel so lazy and needed time to unwind from work. I just have one episode left to edit. I hope to get that done in the next few days time.



I have stack of DVD's to watch. So far I watched 28 Weeks Later and Children of Men. Both are British movies with similar themes. Both have refugee camps and are quite depressing some what. I think I enjoyed watching Children of Men more... better ending than 28 Weeks Later. In the later, it's just a Zombie movie. You know what happens in a zombie movie, everyone gets eaten. The two that deserved to get eaten don't get eaten in the end. In the movie, two kids break out of their camp to pack things in their home. They find their mom who's a carrier of the zombie virus, Rage. Their father kisses their mother and infects him. He turns into a zombie and then the fun starts. Those two kids should have been shot while they were running out of the camp.



The gun battle scenes in Children of Men is pretty realistic. They use handheld shots and in one scene there's even blood splatter on the camera. Reminds me of one of those photo journalist that are embedded with soldiers in war zones. There were half blown up people with body parts every where. Gory.



I think watching British movies are always bleak. I think it's their weather. They always have overcast clouds and their lighting tends to be darker. Their dialog is a bit depressing.



I also got to watch Japan is Sinking. The Japanese version of a disaster movie. Only in this movie, the whole world isn't about to end... only Japan is about to get destroyed. The special effects are pretty cool in this one. This movie has similar themes as another Hollywood disaster movie I watched, The Core. Both have problems brewing under the mantle of the earth.



Japan sure makes some slow disaster movie. Their editing is too slow. The pacing is slower with more character development than Hollywood type disaster movies. The premise of the movie is pretty simple, Japan is sinking into the ocean so they have limited to evacuate Japan and meanwhile, they're trying to stop Japan from sinking into the ocean. The funny part is, none of the other Japanese allies like the Americans help in the evacuation of Japan. So much for allies.

I also have the chance to walk around The Garden, the newest mall next to MidValley Megamall. It's got a design way better than Sunway Pyramid's new wing. It's a more organic design with curved lines. Sunway Pyramid's mall is just all straight lines and the ceiling height is too low. Makes the place looks dark. I'm hoping to visit Pavilion today. I hope YTL designed a better mall.

No comments: