Monday, September 03, 2007

Kneel before Zod!

If you ever watched Superman the movie (the original one with Christopher Reeves), it has one of the most memorable villains, Zod. This dude has a penchant for asking people to bow before him in submission.

I was watching Smallville on TV3, the re-imagined story of Superman when there was an episode about Zod. I when to wikipedia to read about him just out of curiousity sake and found out that there was quite an interesting background story to the original Superman movie (part I & II).

Apparently the original director Richard Donner got fired and that's why some of the editing in the movie wasn't so smooth. You can read about it here in Wikipedia. Now they have the original version of the movie on DVD as intended by Richard Donner, it's called Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut. Hrmm... imagine that, a movie from over 1980 re-edited.

As I was reading this, I was also keeping an eye of an episode of Winners I had edited on air. I saw a lot of similarities in what they were discussing in the article with my work life. As any editor/producer/director one is always bound to get criticism about artistic styles. One's poison, is another's one meat I suppose.

With my close colleagues, we always criticize each other's work, but it's all done in good humour. I get a lot of crap sometimes for editing decisions I make. I just accept it as it is, someone's opinion. However, others might not take the criticism as light as I have at work. Artistic people are very sensitive about their work you know!

By the way, did you know that Nicholas Cage named his baby Kal-el Coppola Cage? My goodness... why on earth did he name his child after a fictional character and a famous director? At least it's a cute baby, you can see the picture here.

No comments: