Monday, September 03, 2007

Jalan Ipoh Bah Kut Teh next to Dynasty Hotel

This is the reason why I am getting wider around the waist... Bah Kut Teh. This dish is also one of the reasons that makes me proud to be a Chinese, even though I can't speak Mandarin.

When I think about the debate about Article 11 of the constitution, the freedom of religion, I think about Bah Kut Teh. I always think about what I can do to guarantee my freedom to eat Bah Kut Teh. Yes, when it all boils down to it, it's when I can get my servings of pig intestines and stomach.

Inilah ertinya Merdeka... dapat menikmati Bah Kut Teh bila-bila masa!

This Bah Kut Teh shop at Jalan Ipoh next to the Dynasty Hotel in KL is my new find. I was looking for a new place to try and Chui Yan's sister suggested it. One has to park in the Dynasty Hotel to get here. The parking in the hotel is a bit tricky with really tight corners and small parking lots. Make sure you're not driving a large vehicle if you plan to park here!

Eating here is really interesting with all the noise from the traffic from busy Jalan Ipoh. Occasionally, you'll get an irrate driver laying on the honk just as you're about to swallow.

I think the soup is served with a little bit of rice wine. It's something different. It's sweet compared to the other types that are bitter.

Service is fast here, even though the shop is mostly full in the evening. Best time to come is the evening for supper or dinner. In the daytime, it might be a little too hot to have Bah Kut Teh!

Bah Kut Teh was one of the first few dish I learned how to cook when I was in the US. I used those instant soup packets that my parents send to me, I think it was that A1 brand that they still sell in the supermarkets.

Pork was cheap in the US, though I did sometimes substitute it with chicken thighs just for variety. I couldn't find pig intestines or stomach in the American supermarkets. Anyway, I wouldn't want to touch any raw innards of a pig, quite gross.

Those instant Bah Kut Teh spices were a highly valuable trading commodity in the US. I remember trading it for free dim sum with a waiter in the US. Was quite amusing what one would do for a taste of Bah Kut Teh.

After a few years, when I was back in Malaysia, I tried cooking Bah Kut Teh again for Chui Yan with the instant soup packets. All I can say is, I think I'll stick to letting others cook it for me... taste much better.

I remember one of the first times I when out with Chui Yan was to eat Bah Kut Teh. She was all dressed up and was suprised I was taking her out to dinner at a road side stall to eat Bah Kut Teh. Occasionally she still brings it up when ever we wonder where to have dinner. Funny.

No comments: