Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Complain, complain, complain...

Chui Yan says I complain all the time. Sometimes I don't realize I'm doing it. For me, it's just me commenting about something... it just so happen it's all negative (hehehe). Sometimes, it does come in handy in solving problems at work.

Today was a bitching session hosted by my company's Managing Director. They had a briefing on the Non-Linear Editing (NLE) system status at my company. I totally forgot about it, I had to temp produce the show today. The producer on duty had to go out station and I was supposed to sit in the control room. Kinda like letting everything run on auto-pilot and just make sure we don't accidentally fly into any mountains on the way.

Anyway, the briefing and presentation was done by the Engineering department. They played some AVID video clips about what the system could do and all that time I was smirking and scoffing and feeling really sarcastic. I don't doubt what AVID can do, heck don't get me wrong... I love AVID, it's just implementation is always so different from what's promised.

After the briefing ended, they had a Q&A and there was a few seconds of silence and no one asked any questions. I already had some questions written down and let loose seeing that no one wanted to say anything. I basically told them what I had on my mine and soon everyone else pitched in. Well, I won't go into details, but let's just say we weren't a happy bunch of end-users. Engineering Department had all these idealistic suggestions that weren't pratical.

For example, everyone knows that ideally you should do batch capture but come on... if you're shooting a news program, you wouldn't have time to actually take time codes down while you're on the field and come back and preview the tape. The reporter would want to instantly ingest the whole tape which is so much faster than stopping to note time code and capturing again.

As usual, solutions were offered but I'll wait and see if actually bears fruit.

No comments: