Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Deal or No Deal

Daphne called me the other day asking if I wanted to be her 'supporter' in Deal or No Deal. It's this game show they have on NTV7. She was gonna be a contestant. I told her I don't speak mandarin but she said it was gonna be in English so I thought, okay what the hell... I get to be on TV! Woohoo! My chance to be the irritating tourist on someone's set. I always wanted to do that, pretend to be one of those people who've never seen the insides of a studio before and take lots of pictures and ask how everything works... damn, then again I do that in my own studio.

I came home early today because I just felt really wierd. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I thought it was the cake I ate today. I came home, took the nap and woke up feeling like crap. I think I have a fever. I rarely get a fever so I don't know what a fever feels like. I told 2 aspirins and I can at least blog now. I just feel weak and my head feels heavy, like my neck couldn't support its weight. I could barely crawl out of bed to find the aspirin.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of thinking before I sleep. I've been having sleepless nights. All these strange words start coming into my head. Words I didn't even know was in my vocabulary. Take for example hubris and omnious. I was laying in bed thinking about pride and the word hubris floated into my mind. I thought, hrmm... that sounds vaguely familiar. I had to get out of bed and go through wikipedia just to see what it meant. Anyway, hubris in the classical greek definition is to inflict shame/or harm on someone not for revenge but so one could feel good about it. For example, not letting someone cut into your lane while you're driving because you're too kiasu to let someone in front of you, as if you take pleasure in depriving someone of changing lane.

I know, I do that too... I'm evil on the road. What, cut in front of me? No way!

Omnious on the other hand was a word that came to me while I was looking at clouds. That's how I feel about them.

I didn't know I had such a wide vocabulary. Sometimes I'll be talking to someone and they'll ask me what does that word mean and I'll think for a moment and I don't even know what it means sometimes. I just know it because I heard someone else using it. I'm such a show of sometimes.

No comments: