Wednesday, September 20, 2006

AVID Vs. Premiere Pro

After spending almost two weeks of non-stop editing for the Lebanon project, now I have too much time on my times with the project over. I've dropped by Low Yatt Plaza to pick up some training softwares. Found some new versions of AVID. Maybe, I'll re-install the new Media cutter at home. I'm still a fan of Premiere, but I realize that AVID does have it advantages. For a major project with multiple editors working on it, AVID is the way to go. In the office, we had 4 editors working on the first episode for the Lebanon project. It was really messy with files not being named properly but amazingly, we pulled through. Wished the titling system for AVID was much more efficient to support subtitles.

Anyway, I have to go back to Low Yatt, this is the 3rd time I have to go back to change softwares. The first time, I asked to test the DVD and the guy said his laptop wasn't working. I told him I don't want to come back because parking was a bitch. True enough, the second DVD didn't work and the next day I had to fight my way through traffic and find parking. The guy had a smirk on his face and laughed of my request to subsidize my parking ticket. I saw another DVD that I liked but decided not to buy from him since he couldn't test it.

In the end, I found another shop that had a PC to see if the DVD could be read. Should have asked the guy to open the movie file. It's actually a DVD with 4 training videos. I have 4 CD's but this versions had all of them in one DVD. 2 of my CD's wouldn't play the movie finish because they weren't burned properly. I was hoping the DVD version had an okay copy, but I guest it's just a fault of with the master copy. They actually managed to copy a bad file over to the DVD.

I've been thinking of starting an AVID user's forum for my office. There's a lot of things that I've learned by trial and error that I would like to pass on to the others. For example, the damn video cable on the mojo machine is loose and if you get pink visuals, you gotta wiggle the cable around. Maybe I'll start one in blogspot

No comments: