Saturday, July 15, 2006

Superman Returns

Just watched Superman Returns. Loved it. I love how they had a lot of elements from the original Superman I & II. Right from the start, they had Marlon Brando's old lines. I love the fact that they had the old montage titles. Kinda tacky now, because it's just flying blue fonts but for Superman Returns, it works. However, when you hear John William's Superman score with the flying blue fonts with the new outer space voyage montage, was really cool.

I think the only difference is Superman's suite. The guy's got new boots! Looks kinda rugged though, the original Christopher Reeves booths looked more like the comic book boots. Anyway, the best was the new Lex Luthor played by Kevin Spacey. Two of the original cast of Superman I & II aren't around anymore (Christopher Reeves and Marlon Brando) but Gene Hackman who played Lex Luthor in the orignal movie is still around. However, I'm glad they got Kevin Spacey to play Lex.

In some ways, I've always admired Lex Luthor for his tenacity. Here's an average human being, except for his intellect and he gets to beat the shit out of Superman, with super strength. Okay, so Lex loses all the time but he always gets up to kick the shit out of Superman again. No question about Superman surviving getting the shit kicked out of him all the time, hey... he's a superhuman alien after right? But Lex Luthor going up against someone with superpowers... now that's pretty cool (okay, so he's totally evil but I still admire his grit).

I like the 'super heroes' that don't actually have any superpowers. My favourite is the Punisher. In the comic world, he's just a guy with special training who can kick the shit out some of the super heroes with special powers. Although Batman doesn't have any special powers, his technology and unlimited financial strength doesn't quite makes sense.

In Superman Returns, there is a slight mention of Gotham in a news report. So I guess in Superman's world, Batman does exist. So maybe there would be a Justice League movie after all!

Well, I won't spoil the rest of the movie if you haven't watched Superman Returns. If you haven't watched it yet, you should watch Superman I & II first because it takes of 5 years after the two movies.

No comments: