Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sequels

I watched Next last night. It was that Nicholas Cage movie where he had the special ability to see 2 minutes into his future.

It was going great all the way up to the last 15 minutes of the movie and then they did a sequel ending. You know, the type of ending where everything is left hanging as the producer wants the option of making a sequel. I hate that type of ending. It doesn't make me want to come back and pay money to watch the sequel. It makes me want to buy a pirated DVD to watch the sequel. I feel ripped of by a bad ending. The same goes for Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Stupid movie, they didn't even mention in the making of the movie that they were making a sequel.

Other movies that had endings like that were Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back; Matrix 2 and Back To The Future 2. Okay, most of these movie were shot back to back to save on production costs. But when they withold information that they're making another movie and leave everything hanging, that leaves me feeling unsastified.

The only genre of movie where you leave the ending hanging is a horror movie. The bad guy/monster never dies and there is always a hint that it is still alive. Everyone expects that. However, that doesn't work in trillers or action movies where the story arch doesn't end properly.

The scriptwriters for Next didn't do a very good job either. I have a feeling they shot a lot of scenes and the editor had to cut things down to speed up the pacing of the movie. Hopefully, the DVD has the uncut scenes so I can find out what actually happened. Then again, maybe Nicholas Cage shouldn't produce and just stick to acting.

I was going to drop by 1 Utama to fix my camera pouch but the huge jam outside just turned me of. I when straight home and killed many pixeled man and aliens on my PC. Outside of my computer, I'm a pacifist... but when I turn on my PC and start up Command and Conquer 3... I'm a huge war monger.

Reminds me of the movie Conan the Barbarian. I cut and pasted the below from wikipedia

Conan the Barbarian, in the film of the same name, when asked, "What is best in life?" responds, "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." Here, the character Conan is quotes the twelfth century warlord Ghenghis Khan, who gave this answer in response to his friend's claim that what was best in life was "A fine hawk on the wrist, a clear day, and a fast horse upon which to ride". ( Refer to the novel _Ghenghis Khan_ by Harold Lamb for the exact quotation and context.)

When I play any strategy game, the meaning of any game is to hear the lamentation of their people/alien! Okay, outside of my game, the meaning of life is to have a clear day.

No comments: